Canvas Ministries was launched in January 2013, after years of planning and praying. Rakeem Brewington and Machal Schoolfield had a dream of creating an international ministry that would use dance and the arts as a tool to introduce people to Christ. They believe that God is a creating, artistic God who allows His children to be the canvas for His amazing works. This idea was the birth of Canvas Ministries.
There are two major components to Canvas Ministries: American and International
Rakeem and Machal are called to reach people across the United States. They believe that God wants to strengthen a remnant of believers who are hungry to experience Him in this nation. They have several goals to achieve this:
- Traveling to churches to minister through dance, preaching, poetry and other creative means.
- Opening arts school and performing arts centers across the states.
- Partnering with churches to develop arts programs
- Hosting dance workshops at churches and in the secular world
- Preaching at conferences with messages of love, repentance, and the Holy Spirit.
- Partnering with other ministries to unite the kingdom of God passed denominational barriers.
In the passed few years, Canvas Ministries has traveled to Israel, Romania, Germany, Uganda, Mozambique, and England. A major portion of Rakeem and Machal’s vision is to do all they can in achieving the Great Commission. Machal particularly, has a desire to work with young women overseas who are part of the sex trade. Their vision is large but is becoming more and more of a reality daily with Christ.
- Assisting women out the sex trade in Asia, Africa, and Brazil while establishing homes for rehabilitation (spiritually, psychologically and economically)
- Working with local churches to strengthen their already existing programs
- Establishing arts schools as tools for discipleship
- Leading outreaches beyond the walls of the church
- Ministering through preaching and dancing to local congregations